Sunday, November 11, 2012

Some thoughts on therapy

Yarn therapy that is.
First of all, just have to get off my chest that I take it so personally when I lose a fan on my Facebook page and fall victim to a mass "clean up". I know I shouldn't, but I do. So do me a favor, if you aren't already a fan, like my page! It will make me feel better.

Ok, now that I have that said, on to more important things.

This all started exactly one year ago.  My husband was always telling me I needed to find a way to destress. A way to relax. A hobby.
Scrapbooking....too expensive.
Photography....I only like to take pictures of my kids and my friends kids.  No desire to be anything other than a mom that takes descent pictures of her kids.
Music....tried that. LOVE it but I suck at playing, singing, and everything in between. I am only good at listening to music.
And I really couldn't ever think of anything else. So years went by with my downtime and hobby time consisting of doing laundry and facebooking.  Which is fine. I love social media, I love networking, I love people.  But it isn't a tangible hobby.  I needed something to DO.

One day at work, I have no recollection as to how we got on the subject, maybe something we saw on Very Jane, but I asked them if they ever did finger crocheting to make a braid.  They said no, so I wanted to show them.  I remembered I had some yarn left I bought to hang up in the playroom to display artwork.  When I got home that evening and the kids went to bed, I dug it out and gave it a try.  I tried making a headband, but it didn't look very pretty.  I then had the vague memory of my mom showing me how to do a standard double crochet.  So off to hobby lobby to buy a hook.  I came home and played around until I could remember how to do it.  Next thing I know, I was making a scarf and was so pleased with myself!

I wanted more. I wanted to make a hat.  So I you tubed directions.  I don't have the attention span for most of the instructional videos out there, so I would watch for a second and figure out the rest on my own.  My first hat ever was for Lyla and it was a complete accident and I have yet to recreate it.  I made it the day we were going to see Disney on Ice.  When we were out and about, I got so many compliments on it! I wanted to do more!!!

Next I learned how to make a flower.  And I couldn't stop.  I was making nightly trips to Hobby Lobby buying all sorts of yarn.  Next thing you know, I dedicated a photo album on my facebook to all my new projects.  It was getting a lot of attention, and people were starting to ask for stuff.  A few weeks of that, then I got brave enough to start my own "business" page.  Fast forward a year, and here I am! I have an Etsy shop, doing multiple shows and festivals, and shipping hats as far away as Australia.  I am proud of what I have done.

To be honest, my favorite part of this whole adventure is the business end of it.  I love the marketing, promoting, fulfilling, shipping, etc.  Don't get me wrong, I still love making the stuff as I did the first day.  I love writing my own patterns and I love even more seeing people wear my stuff.  I love it so much I want to grow this.  But, that isn't possible.  I am one person.  I work full time outside of the house.  I have three small kids.  I can only make 1-2 hats a day.  Which is great for the pace I am at now, but I want to grow bigger! So I have come up with a new business plan. I want to add on design partners to my growing business!

If interested, keep reading.
If not, go shop on my Etsy page :)

Do you play with yarn, knit or crochet? Do you love to create, but don't love the business side of trying to sell your stuff? Do you want to sell your stuff but don't have the means or desire to start an Etsy shop or show your pieces? Those are the people I am looking for!!! Design partners.  People that make anything to do with yarn! Scarves, novelty and character hats, cowl necks, washclothes, gloves, sweaters, blankets, etc., etc., etc.
Here is how it works:

1. email me to show your interest, and I will send you an application
2. mail me a sample piece or two, pictures, and your application
3. upon approval you will be sent a contract
4. mail me additional pieces you would like to sell

Once contract has been signed and agreed upon you will receive Yarn Therapy business cards with your name, to distribute among friends and family.  Show them off, be proud, spread the word!
I will photograph the items, list them, promote them, sell them, ship them.  You will receive payment via PayPal minus 20% of list price.  All you have to do is make it, mail to me, collect the money.
In the event that someone is interested in your piece, and wants a custom piece, I will coordinate with the customer and send you a message with details on what to make.

Questions? Email Me 
Thanks for your interest, and I hope to work with you soon!
Vanessa

No comments:

Post a Comment